cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problem with C6504-E

okmnbv123
Level 1
Level 1

There is a WS-C6504-E with Supervisor WS-SUP32-GE-3B and module WS-X6148A-GE-TX. It was necessary to clear the config, cleaned up "erase startup-config", rebooted the device. Network interfaces with a clean config to start his "shutdown". Unable to connect to the console. I tried with different cables and computers does not help. I tried to touch on the speed of the port did not help. Read somewhere that need to hold down the reset button on the front of the supervisor for 30 seconds. The device then restart, but not booted. If you are loading Indication "status", "system", "active" and "pwr mgmt" on the front panel flashes a few times with different colors and lights up in orange all. The remaining LED's and are extinct. Has anyone seen this?

8 Replies 8

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nikolay,

These leds all together can mean basically few things - from HW problem to the Supervosr stuck in rommon. Thus I would try few things:

- physically reseat supervisor in the slot

- check that console cable, terminal working on other dvices

- try to console in once again

These are the leds meanings:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Sup_Eng_Guide/02superv.html#wp1068062

Nik

HTH,
Niko

I tried, to no avail. I take flash card with a supervisor and watched its content from another device:

rommon 3 > dir flash:

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

Directory of flash:

2      47608836  -rw-     s3223-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF12a.bin

This file is sufficient for normal boot?

Thank you!

Hi,

Yeap the eimage looks fine, though it can be corrupted. You can try watching this flash on the other booted SUP and do "verify /md5" command to generate hash for it - then compare the hash for exactly same image on cisco.com. If does not match - then image is corrupted.

You can also try the SUP in question in the other chassis. I see you have some other SUP in ROMMON - so I guess you can swap those for testing.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Checked MD5, all right. But the device still does not work. Probably have to find a service center and other ideas I had not.

If the console working to one SUP and does not work to another. And the second SUP leds are amber - then possibly we gat HW problem. The other possiblity is that smth with console/terminal still and SUP trying to download not the image on PCMICA card but image on the internal bootflash on SP. If that image is bad it can fall to ROMMON back.

Posibbly you can try reseating the DRAMs and changing internal bootdisks to make sure image is good there.

NIk

HTH,
Niko

I have a little experience, this can be done?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi,

Yeap - you can easily reseat memory yourself on the SUP. Following link can help to locate DIMMs on SUP32:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_16999.html

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Nothing has helped. Sent to a service center. If repaired, I'll try to find the cause of the master and write here.

Thank you very much for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco