cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with intervlan routing on 4506...no dhcp either of course

hornbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone having an issue getting there 4500 series to route? I have turned on ip routing and nothing...they cannot see across the vlans...

I have attached the core switch (2980g) config that our cs-4506 connects too and our windows2003 dhcp configuration. Any help or suggestions greatly welcome... TIA, gary

10 Replies 10

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are your VLAN interfaces up/up on the 4506? Can you paste an output of sh ip int brief from the 4506?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you do a show ip route do all your SVI's show up as connected routes ??? Verify all vlans are created by a "show vlan" command . Maybe try renableing ip routing . Conf t , ip routing . Do a show ip int brief and see what state your layer 3 stuff is . you may have to have 1 active port in each vlan in order to ping anything . If you don't have at least 1 active user port or link in the vlan then the layer 3 interface will not be active. Most of the other stuff looks ok on the switches except on the 2980 you should implement the command "set port host" for user pc's ports . Failing to do so can create problems with dhcp.

Thank you Glenn for your response. I am testing ports on 4506 for the ability to talk across the vlans and recieve dhcp.

I will attach the information you suggested...this one has my skills maxed out...just cannot the segments talking and receiving dhcp (other than those on vlan1 of course).

Thanks so much for your help.

Gary

Everything looks ok, as you can see in the show ip route your vlan connection comes up for vlan 3 once you get an active pc on vlan 3 .The same would be true if you get an active pc on a vlan 2 port . From that pc on vlan 3 you should be able ping anyone from vlan 3 or 1 . On your pc make sure your address matches the ip address range for vlan3 (mask also)on your pc , also your gateway on the pc must match the vlan 3 SVI address . Ping addresses in vlan then ping the vlan 3 gateway address then ping the vlan1 gateway address . If these all ping , try pinging to pc's on vlan 1.

Not sure why you have it setup for that many hosts(8190) on each subnet but it shouldn't matter as long all the masks match on your pc's and the router.

This is where I am at a loss. I can ping from Vlan3, the 4506 on Vlan1 (192.168.0.253, its gateway) and I can ping the Vlan3 gateway port on the 4506 also from Vlan3. I cannot ping anything else on Vlan1 from Vlan3...the firewall or dhcp server or anything else??? Strange..I do not understand what is missing...LOL

hornbeck
Level 1
Level 1

I may have found something...on the 4506 port 2/1 goes to the 2980g...shouldnt it have more configuration on that port?

just noticed that from a ws on vlan1 I can ping a workstation on vlan3 and visa-versa. But cannot ping any other devices that are plugged into the 2980g...

Not applicable

It looks like it should work as long as you know that the workstations have an address 192.168.0.0 255.255.224.0 subnet and their default gateway on the nic is pointed to 192.168.0.253 . Put a workstation on the 2980 with say an address 192.168.1.1 255.255.224.0

and it's default gateway at 192.168.0.253 . You should be able to ping the switch address and the default gateway as they are in the same vlan and their isn't any routing involved . Then try to ping anything in vlan 3 . It should work , if not then i'm out of ideas . Just make sure you also see all your subnets in your 4500 when you do a "show ip route" . Just for grins also on the 4500 on the port that connects the 2980 put "switchport mode access and also switchport access vlan 1 . This shouldn't make any difference but can't see any other reason why it isn't working at this point.

hornbeck
Level 1
Level 1

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is was the gateway of the 4506 with needed to be added to the server nics! That resolved it! Thank you all so much, especially Glenn for all your efforts and help....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: