Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problem with SMTP & 7507

We replaced our Cisco 7206 with a 7507 running IOS version 12.2(8)T10. The 7507 has the same configuration as the 7206 it replaced. The router is used for Internet connection to two different carriers. Our speed to the Internet increased, noticebly, and there have been no issues with web, ftp or other apps. We did notice that our mail servers (BSDI with sendmail and some Novell Groupise and MS Exchange) servers were having SMTP communication issues to some other email servers on the Internet.

We finally decided to switch back to the old router (the 7206) and the SMTP issue is resolved. The old router has IOS 12.1(19). We made sure there were no access-lists at fault or is there any firewalls involved.

I would appreciate any help on this problem.

Thank you.

Jeff

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Problem with SMTP & 7507

are you using cbac or any other IOS feature that is inspecting smtp traffic ?

Re: Problem with SMTP & 7507

No we aren't. I also found out that DNS and NNTP was affected. The DNS that was affected was the synchronization with the root cache servers that I believe uses TCP. Since we have local DNS we didn't notice it but relized we weren't synchronizing with the root cache servers. I'm getting suspicious that TCP traffic is being affected. I've had similar problems with small time firewalls and the their WAN MTU size.

Thanks.

Jeff

Views
Helpful
Replies