cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with T-1 interface

hcoltrain
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, I purchased a T-1 connection and a 2610 router with an internal WIC CSU/DSU. The connection was installed and tested. But have yet to get on-line. For soem reason all I can do is ping our suppliers gateway.

I can ping there gateway and my interface IP , but packets will not route further. Their NOC claims this is our configuration problem, however I have followed there , as well as, Cisco configuration instructions perfectly. I am new at routing and believed I have overlooked or am ignorant am some minor setting.

Global values:

Internet Protocol routing is enabled

Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Internet address is 216.248.xx.xx/27

Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Internet address is 216.248.xx.xx/30

Interface serial 0/0

service-module t1 clock source internal

service-module t1 timeslots 17-24 speed 64

service-module t1 framing esf

service-module t1 linecode b8zs

ip address 216.248.x.x 255.255.255.x

encapsulation ppp

fair-que

no shut

Any ideas?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

ejgonzalesiii
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you have a routing issue. I am assuming that this is being used to connect to the interenet. With this in mind, make sure that you have a default gateway set on the router(ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x). If this is done then more than likely the telco has some routing issues also. Try using the traceroute command to determine where the packets are being lost.

Hope this helps.

hcoltrain
Level 1
Level 1

I looked up the command at Cisco for setting a static route, but I am not excatly sure what to do could someone give me an example. I also noticed you had 0.0.0.0 as the route is that what I need?

I do have to use routing protocols as they advertise on there end.

Also how do I set the gateway of last resort?

I am sorry I meant I do not have to use routing protocols.

mbjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

You have a pretty simple configuation. All you need is a Default Route. In your case you need to add in global config mode:

router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 216.248.x.x (your ISP's router address)

Let us know if that fixes the problem!

Thanks.

Yes that took care of the problem. Thanks for everyone's help. Now, it is on to ACL's and security.

:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: