cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with the MTU size

krishna.nayak
Level 1
Level 1

On a router with Tunnel interface configured when I issue 'sho interface tunnel' command the MTU size shown is 1514, but when I issue 'sho ip interface tunnel' the MTU size is 1476. What is the actual MTU applicable to the interface.

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The effective mtu on the GRE tunnel is the MTU size of the physical outbound interface minus 24 bytes (additional IP and GRE headers).

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

If you are experiencing problems with the MTU you can increase the IP MTU by using the ip mtu 1500 command. The proper way to correct this is to delete the tunnels then create the tunnels again with the ip mtu 1500 command

tiredofnetworks
Level 1
Level 1

Use wireshark and pingmaster ( the flagshipsoft one ) to change the ping mtu real time and see what the threshold is for the ping getting broken up.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might be confusing interface MTU, 1514, with a protocol (IP) specific MTU, 1476.

As noted by Harold, the tunnel has defaulted to an IP MTU of 1476 (1500 less 24 GRE overhead), which can be the ideal size for a GRE tunnel.  (Is any thing else shown for show interface #, like "Tunnel protocol/transport GRE/IP"?)

Since your IP MTU showed as 1476, then tunnel is probably using GRE and is providing a IP MTU that's 1500 less GRE header of 24, i.e. 1500 - 24 = 1476.

The 1514 MTU would be the MTU the tunnel is providing.  i.e. "What is the actual MTU applicable to the interface."

I haven't tried this myself, but since the tunnel's MTU isn't a real physical MTU, I would assume it can be increased using the MTU command.  NB: having the MTU larger than what the path's physical MTU can support will require the packet to be fragmented to forwarded.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

this problem has been discussed here already, see

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3375541#3375541

e.g.

HTH,

Milan