Hello,

i have a little problem with my switch. This is my Config for port 22:

interface FastEthernet0/22

duplex full

speed 100

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,5,6,

switchport mode trunk

How can i remove the VLAN 1(default) from this trunk? Is this possible to remove the default VLAN1?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI Friend,

Cisco designed VLAN 1 to carry management traffic like CDP, VTP etc etc and that is the reason in old and low end switches this feature was not introduced.

By default in dot1q trunk vlan 1 goes as native vlan which means not tagged

What you can do is just do not assign any ports to vlan 1.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

No you cannot remove deault vlan 1 from trunk port on 3500Xl switch though you ca do this on some high end switches like cat6k switch.

switchport trunk allowed vlan remove vlan-list

Define the VLANs that are not allowed to send and receive on the port.

The vlan-list parameter is a range of VLAN IDs Separate nonconsecutive VLAN IDs with a comma and no spaces; use a hyphen to designate a range of IDs. Valid IDs are from 2 to 1001.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc4/sc/swvlan.htm#xtocid44

Ankur

Thank you for your fast answer.

Can you say to me, why i can't remove default vlan 1?

In this Trunk, are there vlan1-tagged packets?

It is interresting to know why this isn't possible.

HI Friend,

Cisco designed VLAN 1 to carry management traffic like CDP, VTP etc etc and that is the reason in old and low end switches this feature was not introduced.

By default in dot1q trunk vlan 1 goes as native vlan which means not tagged

What you can do is just do not assign any ports to vlan 1.

Ankur

I would check your syntax when your are trying to remove , you should be able to remove vlan 1 from the allowed links . We have many trunked links on IOS switches where vlan 1 is not allowed . Enter "switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 1" . Kind of a convoluted command but that is cisco code for you.

Hi Glen,

Can you confirm the IOS switches which you have where you have restricted vlan 1 from trunk are XL switches?

AFAIK XL switches cannot restrict vlan 1 from trunk but you can restrict vlan 1 from trunk on 2950 and 3550s and big daddy like cat6k.

Regards,

Ankur

My bad didn't see they were the old XL's , I was looking at current 2950,4500's etc... We don't have any 3500's . Sorry for the confusion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: