Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems booting from slot0: on 3745

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm trying to load a new image on a pair of 3745 routers. I want to keep the old image in flash (as a failover), so I have copied the new image to slot0. The problem is it keeps booting to the original image. The syntax is:

boot system flash slot0:c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.123-2.T3

I have also tried this with the ".bin" extension. The register is 0x2102.

The flash card came with the router so I assume it's formatted correctly. The new image copied to slot0 without any error messages, and it shows up in "dir slot0:". This is a remote router so I couldn't see any console messages when it reloaded.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Randy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Randy,

I guess ur router is a bit short of DRAM memory which is probably preventing the router to load new ios from flash. What is DRAM capacity of Router???

Amit

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Randy,

I guess ur router is a bit short of DRAM memory which is probably preventing the router to load new ios from flash. What is DRAM capacity of Router???

Amit

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

I got a solution from TAC and it was so weird I though I'd post it in case anyone else has this problem.

The solution was to reformat and erase the compact flash card TWICE. After loading the image on the third time it worked just fine. The correct command syntax is:

boot system flash slot0:filename.bin

There is a CCO page that says to use "disk0:" instead of "slot0:" when the flash card is larger than 24Mb, but this is not true for the 3745. I even had a TAC engineer tell me this, so be carefull what you believe.

Thanks, Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: