Replies

Problems collecting Usernames in Ciscoworks using UTLite

dgrowlands
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using UTLite to collect NT usernames using the following command:

UTLite.EXE -domain MLEME -host ldncw1.uk.ml.com -port 16236

Can anyone confirm that using the DNS rather than IP address for the host will definitely work? (I don't want to use IP address as the server is due to move in a couple of months and would rather not hard cose it as an address.)

regards,

Daran.

6 Replies 6

jegrimm
Level 1
Level 1

I believe it will but Campus Manager uses the first interface it finds from CDP. Make sure that is in DNS and things should work out...

you may have misunderstood the question... the -Host flag is to specify which CiscoWorks server the UTLite exe should send the user details back to...

The documentation says use IP address but this seems very limiting... will DNS work instead?

t.radan
Level 1
Level 1

This is not a direct answer to your question, but can you let me know if you are successful in getting your usernames to post properly to Campus Manager.

I have been running utlite for sometime, using the ip address in the login script, under NT 4.0 and we are still not able to collect names from Windows 9X machines (UNIX hosts, NT servers and NT workstations are ok).

I have had this case open for over two months with Cisco, they have passed it along to developers but I have not have any answers back from them.

I would be very curious to know if it works in your environment, and what your environment consists of.

Thanks, Teresa

Teresa,

We were in the same situation as yourself. Cisco told us the same thing. What we fiugured out in our situation is as follows: We were running Winsock Proxy Client pointing to our Proxy servers on both our Win 9x machines and Win2k Machines. What we found out was if you disable the Winsock Proxy Client on the win 9x Machine the usernames showed up in Campus Manager. Win2k must handle it differently because we did not have to do this for those machines. If you are not running Winsock Proxy client then please disregard this message. I hope this helps you.

Scott

I implemented this using a host name rather than an IP and it is working OK. With the winsock proxy, the only thing I can think of is to make sure that the CW2000 server's IP address (or range) is included in the proxy server's Local Address Table (LAT) and that the clients download this newest configuration. Good Luck.

Teresa,

we are not running win9x so I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you...

Although there is a bug on cco relating to usernames not being collected - unfortunately, I don't have access to my mail at the moment to tell you what the bugid is.