cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems connecting to console

danno74
Level 1
Level 1

I connected the console port on the back of our Cisco 3524XL switch to a win95 desktop with the serial connector. I opened HyperTerm to try and access the switch through COM2, the port I thought it was connected to. I setup the connect exactly how the documentation says - 9600 baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits. It would no come up. I then tried COM1 in case I was wrong - nothing. I have rebooted the PC, turned the switch on/off - nothing. What am I missing???

Thanks for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

warren
Level 1
Level 1

Try a different cable or put a null-modem in line.....

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Check to see what cable you have used (flat black/blue cable) and also the connector used

Another thing to be noticed is that the db9 connector used could be a wrong one.

I have here 3 equipments from different vendors which uses the same db9 connectgor, all looks pretty similar except for the color of the connector but, wont work if they are interchanged)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

warren
Level 1
Level 1

Try a different cable or put a null-modem in line.....

Thank you folks, I tried a different flat blur cable with the same serial connector, it worked.

Of course now that I have the console up, I am having other issues. I am trying to access the config file to see how the switch was setup originally. I am not sure what commands to use, and when I go to attempt to enable other commands I am prompted for the password. Do I need to know the password to look at the config and/or make changes? Thinking it might be easier to use the instructions for password recovery and reset all the settings and start from scratch...

If you forgot the password, you can password recover it by referring to following link,

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus