Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problems trying to upgrade IOS on a 3640

My "sh version" shows "IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-I-M), Version 11.2(12)P, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)"

"ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(19)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)"

I have 128M DRAM and 4M of FLASH. I need to be running Version 12.2(11)T1 and with the hardware I have it needs to have at least 64M DRAM and 32M FLASH.

I have purchased a 32M Flashcard and I cannot put the needed image onto it. The router "sees" the card in the slot however, I cannot format or use it. I have put the PCMCIA Flashcard in my laptop and loaded the needed image onto it. The 3640 will not "see" the image. I purchased a 16M FLASHCARD (PCMCIA) and attempted to load the image onto it. The image size is 14.7M. It would not load the image or allow me to format it.

I then purchased two 16M FLASH Simms for inside of the router.

Before attempting to load the image to the router (it would bring down my entire network) I "experimented" on a Cisco 2620 router. With an empty 16M SIMMS in the 2620, the router booted into the ROMMON and I was able to "set" the IP, Subnet mask, gateway, tftp server and file name. I then used the "tftpdnld" command it loaded the image with no problem. I was able to reboot the 2620 with the "new" image. (for that model)

I erased the SIMMS and attempted to load the actual image I needed for the 3640. However, because I was using the 2620, it would NOT allow it to happen.

Confident that I could load the image into the 3640 using the same procedure as the "experiment" I brought the network down and tested my connectivity between my laptop running the tftp software and the router. I installed the 32M FLASH SIMMS and booted the router. The ROMMON came up and I "set" the IP, Subnet mask, gateway, tftp server and file name as I did on the 2620. Everything was fine until I entered the "tftpdnld" command into the ROMMON. The ROMMON reported that the "tftpdnld" program did not exist.

I have searched and cannot find a way in this version of the ROMMON to download the image from the tftp server.

Can anyone PLEASE direct me to the page for instructions or do you know what command will work for me?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob Bloise

System Administrator

Trellis Technologies, Inc.

(704) 849-7789

4 REPLIES

Re: Problems trying to upgrade IOS on a 3640

HI,

This link will be of help. As a last resort, you can use XMODEM from rommon m ode to download the image.

Silver

Bob

tfptdnld is not supported on 3600 routers. My suggestion would be to load the image on the 2600. Then move the flash Simms from the 2600 to the 3600 .

I attempted to load the image for the 3640 onto a 16M stick of FLASH SIMMS throught the 2620, however, I received a message indicating that the image was of the wrong type for this router.

Is there a different way to load the needed image onto the FLASH through the 2620?

Thanks in advance...

bob bloise

Hi Bob,

Try this method as last resort..

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis3600/hw_inst/3600hig/3600appb.htm

The above link will use xmodem protocol to transfer file over your console cable. Remember the speed will be real slow at 9600 bps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content