Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with NBT packets through a cisco 2620 router

sclnorth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've two different IP ranges on our LAN connected via a cisco 2620 router. When we save an excel file from a pc on the first ip net to a server on the second ip range it takes 8 mins. When we do the same on a pc on the same ip net it takes only 45 sec. I suppose that this has something to do with the configuration of the router. Response time of ip traffic seems to be normal. Only NBT packests seems to give a very poor response time. I've tried to forward UDP traffic (ip forward-protocol udp) but no improvement. Can somebody help ?

3 Replies 3

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Are they on the same interface (ie using secondary addresses)? If yes, inlcude the command "ip route-cache same-interface".

Is WINS used?

Can you use a sniffer (or use debug ip packet on the router, use carefully or with an acl) to see where the delays are?

Also, 45 seconds for a same LAN copy is long (must be a big file) - are the interfaces being overloaded - show interface and show buffers?

Hope it helps.

Steve

Hello, thks for your reply.

No they're not on the same interface so no secondary addresses used.

Yes, we use WINS and the problem is that we don't have a sniffer here to see where delay is located.

The file is 15M so indeed quite big.

Kind regards

Wim

To copy a file on a LAN that is only 15Mbytes should take less than 5 seconds (about 2 sec in a 100Mbs LAN). If it is taking 45 for you, I would suspect a PC issue. On the server/PC in question, you can download for free Ethereal and see how long the PC is holding the packets before sending. I would start with the PCs, make sure they aren't the bottleneck, then move to the router/network.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: