Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with "copy tftp startup", get error "not enough space"

frekes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a Cisco Academy lecturer, one of my students deleted the startup-config on a C2500 running IOS v11.0. After trying to do a copy tftp startup, we get a message saying that there is not enough space.

When we reload the router, it comes up with no configuration. If we do a show flash I can see only the IOS image with 356908 bytes available. I know the config file on the TFTP server is only 2kb. Why does the device report that there is insufficient space?

Regards

Steve Freke

2 Replies 2

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

have you tried "erase nvram:" CLI command to clear the nvram?

If you try "copy tftp flash:" or "copy tftp run" does the tftp work OK?

Regards,

Milan

Milan,

I was concerned about doing an erase NVRAM, so I went to back it up, and recieved a socket error. Which obviously meant that the ethernet interface back to the TFTP server needed configuring. I did that, and then thought that perhaps the ethernet interface had not been confgured previously. I should have checked to ensure it was. Once I enabled the ethernet image and then backed up IOS for good measure, I was able to copy the saved config to the router.

What is somewhat misleading is the error message you recieve, "not enough space" seems to have little to do with the actual space but rather to do with the fact that there wasn't an interface and path to the source TFTP server.

Thanks for the pointers.

Regards

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: