cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with standby IP on HSRP

ashley.pearce
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with users contacting the standby IP. We have two 6509's running HSRP on the two, approx six vlans all configured with standby IP's.

When both switches are up the users can no longer ping their standby IP but when we switch one of the switches off they are then able to ping the gateway.

HSRP config is as follows:

interface Vlan60

ip address 10.12.16.231 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 10.12.99.20

no ip redirects

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 ip 10.12.16.220

These lines are all the same respectivly with the other VLAN's except the second switches configs have the: standby priority 120 line in them.

Any advice would be appreciated

6 Replies 6

lushine-j
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5500's running HSRP on our RSM's. This is our configuration for them.

Primary router

interface Vlan100

ip address X.X.100.5 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip mroute-cache

standby priority 200 preempt

standby ip X.X.100.2

Backup Router

interface Vlan100

ip address X.X.100.6 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip mroute-cache

standby priority 101

standby ip X.X.100.2

That's very similar config as to what I have. On the second router I have the priority set to 120, do I need a priority statement on the other router?

With the config as is the users AND the floor switches can't ping the HSRP(standby) IP.

The switches default gateway must also be the standby ip address of the subnet .

uhaskamp
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps you should look into the cam table on the switch part of the 6509. What happens with the virtual mac-address of the HSRP when both 6509 are connected to the network?

I have had a similar problem, that was caused by the CatOS on the 6509.

You do not need to configure a priority on the second device. When you not configure the priority the router uses the default priority which is 100.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know this may sound like a stupid question , i see that you are using helper addresses so I will assume that maybe you are using dhcp . Is the dhcp server supplying the ip addresses with the default gateway the same as the standby ip address ? if the users nics are set with one or the other routers interface addresses instead of the standby ip address you will get a scenario that you are describing . If you are not using dhcp are the nics set up with the standby ip address as the default gateway ?

johnsos
Level 1
Level 1

What was your result of this problem that you were having? What was needed in order to obtain success? SteveJ.