cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

process_id of router OSPF

Hello

If i do router ospf 1 on one router, and router ospf 2(or another number different from 1) on the other router directly connected, the both routers will exchange their routing table or not.

This process_id means the autonomous system's number or not.

I want some explanation.

regards.

5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: process_id of router OSPF

Yes, they will exchange LSDB's the process number in ospf is just that, Unlike Eigrp which uses AS.

Process ids can be different on OSPF routers. The process id only refers to OSPF process running on that particular router. You can run muliple OSPF processes on a single router but that might consume your CPU/Memory a lot.

Thanks for these inormations, but what is the usefulness of process ids in OSPF routers.

When configuring OSPF on a Cisco router, the process ID is simply a way to identify a routing process. It has nothing to do with the autonomous system like EIGRP, IGRP or BGP. I'm more inclined to say that this is a "fancy" way of identify two separate routing instances on a router. Further more, having different process id means that you can do stuff like "show ip ospf " to find out exactly what each OSPF routing process do for you.

hi,

when you use mpls/vpns and you want use ospf between the customers network and the provider you use different ospf process ids which gives you in addition with a vpn name a clear separation between the customers.

perhaps this help a little,

udo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content