cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prodedures of converting CatOS to native IOS in production

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I'm converting a few 6509 Sup720 in hybrid mode to native IOS. Like to hear your suggestions of how to do it with least impact to production and minimum need of being on site physically.

A few things I can think of:

1. Convert the standby sup to native IOS first, including the code and config;

2. Go to the site, physically swap the active sup with the standby sup, and do a reload;

3. Convert the swapped sup to native IOS code;

4. Go to the site again, insert the converted sup to standby slot and let it sync with the first sup for config.

Questions:

a. If I have two 6509 where hosts are dual homed, from your experience, should I do the convertion one 6509 at a time or both at the same time?

b. Any way I can simplify the steps?

Thanks a lot

Gary

1 Reply 1

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

1. Convert the standby sup to native IOS first, including the code and config;

2. Go to the site, physically swap the active sup with the standby sup, and do a reload.

>> If you are removing the current active sup with teh sup that you've converted in step 1. removing the only sup in the chassis will will reload the box already, no need to reload it again when you put in the native sup.

3. Convert the swapped sup to native IOS code;

4. Go to the site again, insert the converted sup to standby slot and let it sync with the first sup for config.

>> This would be the ideal steps, but you will still need to schedule a downtime. Replacing sup during production hours and if nothing goes wrong everyting could be up and running in less than an hour. But scheduling a downtime is still recommended and be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Questions:

a. If I have two 6509 where hosts are dual homed, from your experience, should I do the convertion one 6509 at a time or both at the same time?

>> I am infering that if you do both sups at the same time you will still be doing the conversion outline in steps 1 and 2 above. If that is the case then doing both will save you the most time.

b. Any way I can simplify the steps?

>> I think, what you have outline is the best way, since you have another chassis to test the conversion which would not put pressure on you to do it quickly.