cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRUNING-6-TRIGJOIN message every second

slaterc
Level 1
Level 1

We have just upgraded two Cat6509 switches to the enhanced chassis and from Sup2 to Sup720-3B.

We are using hybrid mode. CatOS version is 8-5-1 and IOS is 12.2(18)SXF.

The switch has multiple Vlans, most of which have corresponding layer 3 interfaces on the MSFC. The 6509 is running alongside another one, with HSRP between the two on the layer 3 interfaces.

Routing and switching appears to be working correctly in all cases. However, one of these 6509 switches is producing the message "PRUNING-6-TRIGJOIN:trunk 15/1- send trig join" every second, so I have to disable logging in order to do any work on the switch.

I am concerned that this message being repeated over and over means something is not right, but I can't find any information which indicates what the problem might be.

I am also concerned that if I enter "show trunk 15/1" only one Vlan (the management Vlan for the switch) is shown as forwarding on the trunk.

2 Replies 2

eringaard
Level 1
Level 1

This message indicates a VTP pruning message is triggered on the trunk due to a VLAN status change; [chars] is the module number/port number.

It's merely an informative message, but since you receive it every second, you probably have a flapping VLAN/userport somewhere on the other end of that trunk.

In any case:

-Check with the switch which is behind the trunk

-Check VTP settings on both end

-shut/no shut your trunk port on both ends

Port 15/1 is the internal link to the MSFC. It isn't a trunk link to a device external to the switch which has the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: