Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Pruning ISL trunks question

Can you guys confirm this for me please ?

1. If I prune a vlan from an isl trunk when the end switch has no member ports, I will save isl encapsulated broadcast traffic from going across the trunk for this vlan ?

2. If I convert my trunks from isl to 802.1q I will save 26 bytes for each frame. Perhaps more because with 802.1q I could have a native non encapsulated vlan and save even more ?

Is this good practice ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pruning ISL trunks question

Hi Friend,

1. Yes

2. ISL encapsulation does not have a concept of Native vlan so yes native vlan on dot1q trunk will not have any tagging and yes if you configure dot1q you will save a header of 26 bytes but dot1q also puts a internal tagging of 4 bytes.

Yes it is definetely a good practice because first dot1q is open standard and second farme size get reduced.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

1 REPLY

Re: Pruning ISL trunks question

Hi Friend,

1. Yes

2. ISL encapsulation does not have a concept of Native vlan so yes native vlan on dot1q trunk will not have any tagging and yes if you configure dot1q you will save a header of 26 bytes but dot1q also puts a internal tagging of 4 bytes.

Yes it is definetely a good practice because first dot1q is open standard and second farme size get reduced.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies