Views
Helpful
Replies

Public IP to Cisco 801

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm not able to set up a public IP address -got from ISP- to our Cisco 801 router.

Please, let me know how to add the public IP to interface Ethernet0.

I did these steps:

config terminal

no ip domain-lookup

interface ethernet0

ip address public IP subnet mask <enter>

Did not work.

Thank you.

Csaba

3 Replies 3

Hello,

possible you have ip routing turned off. Try to turn it on with the global command:

ip routing

Regards,

GP

gusortiz
Level 1
Level 1

After you enter the command that mention, which error you get?

If this is a new router, please check that the 'no ip routing' command is not in the config (show runn). Check the status of the inferfaces those should be on the up/up status (show ip interface brief).

If you are configuring this ona Ethernet interface this should be some sort of DSL, check also if you have a default gateway pointing to the ISP

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

x.x.x.x is an ip address on the ISP; you can use the interface but in this case since this is broadcast interface I do not recommend to use this. Finally verufy with if you are not learning of that using DHCP.

guSo

wlegge
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm - seems strange - the 801 is ISDN from memory - I would have expected the public IP to sit on the BRI interface (or dialer) and then you have a private lan on the eth0 port.

If you require the outside world to see one of your private boxes, you would use a static inbound NAT.

Also, if your IP address is not static from your ISP, you will need to use 'ip address negotatied' or easyip to assign the address on the interface when the line comes up (assuming PPP is providing the IP).

Regards

Will.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: