cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PVlans mixed with Vlans

klmatwie
Level 1
Level 1

When configuring a PVlan port as promiscuous can or does it still participate in normal Vlans. I have a 6509 that right now incorporates multiple vlans with a PIX firwall off of one of the ports that acts as the default gateway. I would like to incorporate PVlans but I belive I would have to make my G/W port a promiscuous port on the PVlan? Info that I have found has not really covered this. Any help/direction would really be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

In PVlan, the Primary Vlan looks like a normal vlan for other normal vlans on the switch. You can see this from the 'show vlan' command. For eg. vlan 100 is configured as the primary vlan in a Pvlan and 300 as the seconday vlan (isolated) for this Pvlan. Ports 3/1 and 3/2 are configured as isolated ports by assigning them to vlan 300 and port 3/14 is configured as promiscuous, you will see the folowing :

catalyst> (enable) show vlan

VLAN Name Status IfIndex Mod/Ports, Vlans

---- -------------------------------- --------- ------- ------------------------

1 default active 5 1/1-2

3/3-4,3/6-12,3/15-48

100 VLAN0100 active 88 3/1-2,3/14

300 VLAN0300 active 89

1002 fddi-default active 6

1003 token-ring-default active 9

1004 fddinet-default active 7

1005 trnet-default active 8

catalyst> (enable) show pvlan

Primary Secondary Secondary-Type Ports

------- --------- ---------------- ------------

100 300 isolated 3/1-2

catalyst> (enable) show pvlan mapping

Port Primary Secondary

---- ------- ---------

3/14 100 300

So, I think the primary and secondary vlans are visible only within the Pvlan, and the Pvlan looks like a normal vlan for other vlans. You can assign a port either to seconday, primary or normal vlan. They cannot belong to more than one of these vlans. Hence, the gateway connected to promiscuous port would like like it is connected to a normal vlan for other vlans, and would look like a primary vlan for the seconday vlans of that Pvlan. You can refer this document for more information :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/90.shtml