cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PVST or PVST+

mcat84
Level 1
Level 1

Customer have 2 4503 running PVST. Have trunk link to new/old Cisco access switch using dot1q and isl encap.

Customer introduce a third party IPS devices which support PVST+ only. Can i change my Cisco 4503 PVST to PVST+? i have isl and dot1q encap on my trunk link? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Cisco switch were only running PVST when ISL encapsulation was the only trunking mechanism available. As soon as dot1Q encapsulation was supported, all Cisco switch became PVST+ switches. What I'm writing here is an approximation, but you can consider that a PVST+ switch runs PVST+ on dot1Q trunks and PVST on ISL links.

So there is no configuration that changes between a PVST+ and a PVST mode.

A trunk can only be in ISL or dot1Q trunk. As long as both the IPS and the 4503 are able to form a trunk, whether dot1Q or ISL, you are fine.

Regards,

Francois

This is my 4503 configuration

!

no file verify auto

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

power redundancy-mode redundant

!

This switch has trunk line (either isl and dot1q) to other access switch.

What is the correct way to configure my 4503? is it

i) spanning-tree mode pvst or

ii) spanning-tree mode pvst+

Should i go to each Interface (trunk connection) to configure the spanning-tree mode ?

Thanks in advance.

I guess the confusion comes from our CLI. The pvst spanning tree mode here is to be compared with rapid-pvst and mst modes, not with an hypothetical pvst+ mode. In fact, when you enter "spanning-tree mode pvst", your switch is running pvst+.

I'm sorry if I was not clear, I'm just trying to avoid a long writeup about the difference between pvst and pvst+ because I don't think it would help answering your question. Just rest assured that there is only one mode that all cisco switches support nowadays, and this mode is pvst+.

To add to the confusion, CatOS uses a syntax close to your ii) when IOS uses i). But both are the same and IOS will only accept i).

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: