cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

qos/bandwidth management possible from 2950?

infreon-cco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was curious as to how granular I can be with bandwidth management on a C2950 switch. What I would like is to be able to restrict any SESSION to 300 kilobits or less depending on the IP Traffic type. Basically what I have is MS Terminal Servers connected to a C2950 switch in turn connected to a c2621 router which in turn sends RDP,Printing and Web Traffic back to clients, who are connected using PPPoe w/ C837's. Is it even possible to be able to restrict bandwidth by session, anywhere in this setup?

Thanks for any help. I just started researching QOS, Bandwidth Management and am lost as to where I should be looking for help. Due to the fact that I want to restrict by single sessions not by total amount of traffic, its confusing trying to get help.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can do this with a 2950, as long as you run the EI image (enhanced). Check the QOS section where it says Policing in this document. Its in pdf format.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps628/c2001/ccmigration_09186a00801cde4b.pdf

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks. I had a look at that method and thought their might be a different way to do what I need. Unfortunately policing can only restrict bandwidth in 1 Megabit increments and I wanted to do this in smaller increments. Also, I still am unclear on whether policing restricts bandwidth on a 'per-session' basis or total egress traffic through the switch port.