cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

qos/bandwidth management possible from 2950?

infreon-cco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was curious as to how granular I can be with bandwidth management on a C2950 switch. What I would like is to be able to restrict any SESSION to 300 kilobits or less depending on the IP Traffic type. Basically what I have is MS Terminal Servers connected to a C2950 switch in turn connected to a c2621 router which in turn sends RDP,Printing and Web Traffic back to clients, who are connected using PPPoe w/ C837's. Is it even possible to be able to restrict bandwidth by session, anywhere in this setup?

Thanks for any help. I just started researching QOS, Bandwidth Management and am lost as to where I should be looking for help. Due to the fact that I want to restrict by single sessions not by total amount of traffic, its confusing trying to get help.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can do this with a 2950, as long as you run the EI image (enhanced). Check the QOS section where it says Policing in this document. Its in pdf format.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps628/c2001/ccmigration_09186a00801cde4b.pdf

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks. I had a look at that method and thought their might be a different way to do what I need. Unfortunately policing can only restrict bandwidth in 1 Megabit increments and I wanted to do this in smaller increments. Also, I still am unclear on whether policing restricts bandwidth on a 'per-session' basis or total egress traffic through the switch port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: