Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS C6500?

a.tillmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to limit traffic from special ports to spetial other ports.

The scenario is that we have a file-server attached to a Gig-Port. There are other servers also connected to Gig-ports at the same Cat6500, which send data to that file-server. The file-server gets into internal trouble, when it receives to much data. So now we want to limit the traffic from most servers to the file-server but not in between those other servers.

Is there a way to configure this, maybe by qos?

Cat-OS 7.6(3)

msfc2 12.1(19)E1 with PFC2

thanks in advance of any answer,

regards,

Alexander

3 Replies 3

cminch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How about setting up different VLANs? It should help some. If you need info on VLANs let me know I'll get you the informaiton.

Regards,

Corey

Corey,

we have different vlans. The file-server however is not the only server in that vlan, so we thought it would make more sense to limit traffic for dedicated ports instead of vlans.

regards,

Alexander

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

You can use policing on the PFC and MSFC for the 6500 series and the code versions you are running.

You will specify the bandwidth util like a CIR and then an optional PIR for bursty behaviour

Packets that exceed your configured limits are deemed to be out of profile. So

traffic is in profile as long as the flows in are at an average rate and never bursts beyond the burst size. If traffic is out of profile you can drop it.

You could also do this on your MSFC with Policy maps, the same principle applies.

Create an L3 ACL to match IP SRC/DST and or TCP/UDP port numbers, you can then either apply this to a CAR config or a policy map.

For Cat OS config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801a5b2d.html#1021642

For IOS i would head the modular QoS route as per below with the policing option.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800bd909.html

The choice is yours, personally the IOS is easier to manage, configure and troubleshoot in my mind.:)

Adios

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: