cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Configuration on Catalyst 3550

VasifKasim0v
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I tried to limit bandwidth utilization on my 3550 switch.I configured class-map, created policy-map("bandwidth 64" command) for this class-map.But i can't attach it to the interface...Nothing comes up when i issue show mls qos interface fastethernet 0/1.(Qos enabled,port isn't trunk port.)Can anybody help to solve this proble.

5 Replies 5

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

when you say "limit bandwidth utilization" you will need a policer or shaper. The command "bandwidth 64" does not do it.

You would need

policy-map test

class MaxRate

police 64000

as a minimum configuration. Have a look at

"Understanding QoS Policing and Marking on the Catalyst 3550"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_tech_note09186a00800feff5.shtml

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi Martin! and thanks for your reply.

But so can you explain me the purpose of bandwidth command?

This output from official CCNP Switching cource.

"The policy-map shown below creates a traffic policy named policy1. The policy applies to all traffic classified by the previously defined traffic-class “cisco” and specifies that traffic in this example should be allocated bandwidth of 3000 kbps.

Switch(config)#policy-map policy1

Switch(config-pmap)#class cisco

Switch(config-pmap-c)#bandwidth 3000

Switch(config-pmap-c)#exit

Note: The actual policies that can be implemented are platform dependent. The example given above is relevant for a Catalyst 3550 or Catalyst 6500 but the bandwidth command is not supported by the Catalyst 2950."

Hi,

the bandwidth command in a policy-map is to configure Weigthed Fair Queueing. It gives a minimum bandwidth guarantee - but no upper limit. So in case you want to give to f.e. HTTP traffic at least 3 MBit/s then the above example would be used. This would also allow 100 MBit/s HTTP traffic on a FastEthernet interface.

A policer gives an upper limit. In case you never want more than 3 MBit/s and drop excess traffic you would use "police 3000000" instead of "bandwidth 3000". (the commands use bps and kbps respectively).

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi,

I m trying to do bandwidth control on cisco catalyst 3550,i tried to do it with cli,i tried to do it policing.when i tried to create a class,i get the following error,i m using the firmware version "Version 12.1(22)EA1a". Cisco3550T24(config)#policy-map policy1

Cisco3550T24(config-pmap)#class cisco

class map cisco not configured.

Also how i can do bandwidth control using snmp.Please help

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

You should read this document as QoS has some limitations on the 3550-platform:

"Understanding QoS Policing and Marking on the Catalyst 3550"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_tech_note09186a00800feff5.shtml

Did it help?