Helpful
Replies

QOS-ios 12.2

nkhwaja
Level 1
Level 1

6509(12.2(17d)SXB10)-->4500(12.2.25SG)

I am planning to use vlan-based-qos.

-Several VLANs are defined at 6509 and trunked to 4500. To use, vlan-based-qos, is it enough to define qos-vlan at vlan interfaces at 6509 only.

Do i have to define one interface for each vlan at 4500 ? At present only one interface (VLAN1) with IP address is configured on 4500 though ports belong to different Vlans.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

In case you want to apply a service policy per VLAN in the 4500 you would need a VLAN interface.

QoS according to the DiffServ frame-work, which you will be using is a LOCAL treatment of traffic called per-hop-behaviour. The Catalyst 4500 will not "know" what or whether qos is configured on the 6500.

Hope this helps

Martin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

generally QoS has to be applied where there can be a lack of resources. In your case this can be f.e. trunk and access ports. The question is what you want to achieve where. In case you want a VLAN based policer you need a vlan interface to apply the policy to. For queueing you can apply per port or per switch settings, so no VLAN interfaces nessessary.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I want to apply Vlan-based QOS on 4500 access/trunk ports. VLAN interfaces are defined at 6509 but not at 4500. Question is: Do I have to define an interface for each VLAN at 4500 for vlan-based qos at 4500?? or command 'qos vlan-based' at 6509-vlan interface is enough ?

Hi,

In case you want to apply a service policy per VLAN in the 4500 you would need a VLAN interface.

QoS according to the DiffServ frame-work, which you will be using is a LOCAL treatment of traffic called per-hop-behaviour. The Catalyst 4500 will not "know" what or whether qos is configured on the 6500.

Hope this helps

Martin

Perfect answer ! Thank you, that answered my question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: