cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on Ethernet WAN

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

The company is currently looking at possibilities of running the WAN on Ethernet technologies. The current WAN is running on a mix of FR and ATM (ATM at HQ and FR at branches). I've setup QoS on the routers based on DSCP precedence bits for different applications. What I wanted to know is whether I'll still be able to setup QoS (liek what I did before) on this new Ethernet WAN or not. I don't see any reason why not but I just wanted to know whether someone out there already has some experience with this. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

You should be fine. I am doing that at a location now.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Note that, not all QoS techniques are supported on high speed interfaces like Ethernet, but you should be able to do DSCP/IP precedence based QOS on the ethernet interface.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your replies. I'm also a bit concern with traffic shaping on FEthernet. It's 100Mbps but we'll only be using a portion of it so I guess that I'll have to configure TS. Do you know of any Cisco links that shows sample TS config on Ethernet? And QoS on Ethernet for that matter? Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: