I have a question, which is probably very easy to answer. I've setup a network with auto qos enabled. between the switches I have a dot1q trunk. Now I want to connect a switch to an access port (so it works more like a hub), does this effect my qos?
I would like to know, since we are also starting to roll out VoIP.
Your question is rather ambiguous. Connecting a switch to access ports that have auto qos enabled will not affect the QoS configurations themselves. HOWEVER, it can potentially impact the voice traffic if you connect multiple IP phones into the daisy-chained switch.
There are so many variables. How many IP phones are you connected to that daisy-chained switch? Can the switch support VoIP phones properly? How fast is the uplink?
Really, you should avoid this sort of set up. If you have to, a few things you might want to consider, to minimise voice quality issues down the track:
1. Minimise the number of IP Phones connected to the daisy-chained switch
2. Ensure the switch can properly mark and prioritise voice traffic
3. Ensure the switch uplink has at least the same amount of bandwidth as the aggregated bandwidth of all voice traffic from the downstream switch
4. Ensure the switch uplink is configured with the proper QoS config. Auto qos may not be the best one to use on uplinks. You might have to manually configure QoS on these, including reclassify and remarking the packets/frames.
5. If oversubscribing the switch uplinks, you would want to implement proper CAC (Call Admission Control), to deny additional voice calls that can saturate the switch uplinks.
Hi everyone, I would like to thank you in advance for any help you can provide a newcomer like myself!
Im studying the 100-105 book by Odom and am currently on the topic of Port security. I purchased a used 2960 and I'm trying to follow a...
While deploying a number of 18xx/2802/3802 model access points (APs), which run AP-COS as their operating platform. It can be observed on some occasions that while many of their access points were able to join the fabric WLC withou...
I am going to design and build an LAN network under a tunnel underground with long distance between the switches.
I will have 2 Catalyst switches and 8 Industrial IE3000, and they will be connected with fiber.
For now I am planning on use Layer-2 s...