Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Quality of service

I am administrator of a small 10 Mbit LAN (30 stations), connected to internet via CISCO 805 router using a 128 Kbit leased line.

I would like to give priority to HTTP traffic over FTP, and to give equal share of the bandwidth to all stations during congestion. Since I don't have access to my ISP's router, is it possible to do this from my side ?

As far as I can understand from the show queue command:

Router>sh queue s0

Input queue: 1/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 619

Queueing strategy: weighted fair

Output queue: 0/1000/64/619 (size/max total/threshold/drops)

Conversations 0/20/128 (active/max active/max total)

Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)

queue size is 0, and I am not sure if something can be done on my router.

Show interface S0:

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 128 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 17/255, rxload 249/255

Is there anything that can be done to improve the bandwidth usage ?

Thank You in advance.

Zoran Nasev

2 REPLIES

Re: Quality of service

with most internet connections and as the output of you show command illistrates, there is a higher level of inbound traffic to your network than data sent onto the net. With this noted, the most effective place to place a queueing strategy will be on your ISP's router (best of luck). your alternative is to apply queuing to your outbound port and hope that the throtteling applied to outbound traffic will reflect control to inbound reply data. This may not proove to be a solution and I think you may have to increase the bandwidth on your serial interface.

Re: Quality of service

If the only solution is to make changes in the ISP's side, I will try to get access to their router, but if I have permission from them, it will surely be to write a few commands to the interface connected to my router, so I wouldn't have time to experiment.

Can anybody with more experience tell me which queuing strategy will be most suitable, and if possible write the exact commands I should write to interface connected to my router?

My goal is to prevent large bandwidth consumption from file transfer (according to my traffic analysis most of it is HTTP), and to give equal bandwidth to all stations during congestion, preventing one station with many connections to consume large portion of the bandwidth.

Zoran Nasev

Views
Helpful
Replies