Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Question abount pruning in VTP

Hi all,

When I want to prune a vlan in a switch, I need to issue this command in the interface mode (suppose in 2950 or 3550):

switchport trunk pruning vlan xxx.

But should I enable pruning in vtp first (use "vtp pruning enable" when config vtp)? Thank You!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Question abount pruning in VTP

You first need to enble pruning globally on the switch (vtp pruning), this enables pruning on all trunks on the switch. You then have the ability to tune which VLAN's you wish to be prune eligible, this is what the switchport trunk pruning vlan xxx command does, it defines on a trunk by trunk basis which VLAN's you wish to be capable of being pruned. By default VLAN's 2- 1001 are prune eligible.

So you only need both commands if you wish to control which VLAN's are pruned, otherwise just enable it globally.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Question abount pruning in VTP

You first need to enble pruning globally on the switch (vtp pruning), this enables pruning on all trunks on the switch. You then have the ability to tune which VLAN's you wish to be prune eligible, this is what the switchport trunk pruning vlan xxx command does, it defines on a trunk by trunk basis which VLAN's you wish to be capable of being pruned. By default VLAN's 2- 1001 are prune eligible.

So you only need both commands if you wish to control which VLAN's are pruned, otherwise just enable it globally.

Views
Helpful
Replies