Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about IP Helper and 4 DHCP servers

Andy Brennan
Level 1
Level 1

Morning guys,

I was hoping you could help me on understanding something please. Let me be as simple and straight to the point as possible. I have 4 DHCP servers installed and configured with Server 2012 and the DHCP Failover Load Balancing model.

So we have 300 small sites each with a router. We have 2 DHCP servers (DC1 and DC2) at the main office (LIVE) and we have 2 DHCP servers (DC3 and DC4) at the Datacenter (DR)

DHCP Server Addresses:

DC1 - 1.1.1.1 (main office)

DC2 - 2.2.2.2 (main office)

DC3 - 3.3.3.3 (DR)

DC4 - 4.4.4.4 (DR)

This is what I would like to achieve:

- All 300 sites configured with the ip helper command to send each client request to both DHCP servers at the main office.

- If the main office blows up, have all client requests to go to both server IP addresses at DR

Is that possible? If so, what commands would need to be issued to the router for this setup?

DHCP is server 2012 is clever enough to do the load balancing and failover at the server level but I needed to have a similar functionality at the router helper level.

Thanks!

12 Replies 12

The ip-helper is quite limited as you can only configure the IP-adresses, but no failover mechanisms. In a standard way you only can specify all four addresses and you have to make sure that the DHCP-database is really synchronized to minimize the probability of duplicate address assignments.

If you want to spent some time in a better solution, there are ways to do that:

One possibility is that you monitor the reachability of your DHCP-servers with "ip sla" and based on the result you change the ip-helper-config with EEM. Needs some scripting-vodoo, but should work.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thanks for the reply.

The 4 addresses are sufficient as I'd only need 2 per site.

Let me break down my original question into another area I don't understand. If I have 4 IP helper addresses configured on one 1 router (all 4 IPs belonging to 4 DHCP servers), when a client request comes in to the router - which of the 4 addresses does it forward the request to?

Thanks

the ip-helper forwards the request to all configured IP-addreesses.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:

Ok so one half of that puzzle is fine in that the request will be forwarded to the all helper addresses. Is it not possible to define a primary and seconday address and have 2 associated with the primary and 2 with the secondary?

Thanks,

no, specifying the IP is the whole flexibility that is available.

-- 

The workaround you mentioned in your first post about ip sta. How exactly does that work for four live and operation servers (2 in each site as per my original post).

Thanks again mate

ip sla can track the reachability of a server. Based on that you can act on your router in that you change your config. For example you have only the first to ip-helper-addresses in your config. If these two addresses are not reachable any more, the these two lines get removed and two other ip helper lines get added.

-- 

So this is a manual process. I mean its workable but ideally we'd like an automated option. Can no cisco and/or juniper router do this? Thanks again

I'm not aware of any automatic process for that.

-- 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Many Cisco devices supported embedded scripting.  An embedded script would be able to change your helper IP on the fly if it notices the primary isn't responding to pings.

Hi Andy,

this is an interesting problem and I challenged myself to find a solution which works fully automated and doesn't have to change the configs by EEM. I just want to present the idea here; for implementing it into a productive environment I'd recommend some optimization (and testing of course).

1. All 4 IP helper will be configured

2. Tracking the reachability of the Main-DHCP servers with IP SLA and EOT (Enhanced Object Tracking):

ip sla monitor 1

type dhcp dest-ipaddr 172.16.1.1 source-ipaddr 192.168.0.1

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

!

ip sla monitor 2

type dhcp dest-ipaddr 172.16.2.2 source-ipaddr 192.168.0.1

ip sla monitor schedule 2 life forever start-time now

!

track 1 rtr 1

track 2 rtr 2

!

track 12 list boolean and

object 1 not

object 2 not

!

So the track object 12 comes up if DHCP-1 (172.16.1.1) and DHCP-2 (172.16.2.2) are out of service.

We now could use object 12 (with an inverse boolean logic in this case) for conditional (tracked) hostroutes for the DR DHCP servers pointing to interface Null0 but this would affect all types of traffic to the servers, not only DHCP traffic. So we need PBR (Policy Based Routing) as well.

3. PBR (Example for DHCP server 3 at DR site):

access-list 103 permit udp any host 172.16.3.3 eq bootps

!

route-map DHCP-DR permit 100

match ip address 103

set ip next-hop verify-availability 172.16.3.3 10 track 12

set interface Null0

4. Apply the route-map to the interfaces with the IP helpers and for locally sourced traffic (relay agent):

ip local policy route-map DHCP-DR

!

interface VLAN xxx

ip policy route-map DHCP-DR

So DHCP-traffic to server 3 is policy routed. If DHCP server 1 or 2 are in service, DHCP traffic to server 3 is send to interface Null0; in other words: It's discarded. If DHCP server 1 and 2 fail, DHCP traffic to server 3 is send to the normal next-hop IP address. This part was tricky because tracking is only possible for numeric next-hops of adjacent routers. But fortunately the "set ip next-hop" clause has a higher preference as "set interface" and that's why I could use the two set-statements.

IP: s=192.168.0.1 (local), d=172.16.3.3 (Null0), len 328, policy routed UDP src=67, dst=67

IP: local to Null0 172.16.3.3

%TRACKING-5-STATE: 1 rtr 1 state Up->Down

%TRACKING-5-STATE: 12 list boolean and Down->Up

IP: s=192.168.0.1 (local), d=172.16.3.3, len 330, policy match UDP src=67, dst=67

IP: s=192.168.0.1 (local), d=172.16.3.3 (Serial0/2), len 330, policy routed UDP src=67, dst=67

#show route-map

route-map DHCP-DR, permit, sequence 100

Match clauses:

ip address (access-lists): 103

Set clauses:

ip next-hop verify-availability 172.16.3.3 10 track 12  [up]

interface Null0

Policy routing matches: 15 packets, 4794 bytes

As you can see, it works as required (at least in a lab environment).

I have to admit that it's somewhat cumbersome, unfortunately the tracking-option in PBR is not as flexible as I tought when the idea came into my mind. I'm curious if somebody finds a better way.

Hope that helps

Rolf

I guess if you change your Server 2012 DHCP mode from DHCP Failover Load Balancing model to Hot Standby Mode will meet your requirements...you can even use your existing relationship in load balancing mode can be converted to hot-standby mode and vice-versa.

alternate option - 

Cisco Prime Network Registrar

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11808/index.html