Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Question about IRB/spanning-tree

Hello,

I have heard that it is necessary to disable spanning tree on bridge-group interfaces when configuring IRB. I was able to get IRB working in our lab. I had spanning tree disabled then later enabled, but I could not see any difference in behavior.

Could someone tell me why it is necessary to turn off spanning tree on IRB bridge-group interfaces?

2 REPLIES

Re: Question about IRB/spanning-tree

That doesn't seem to make sense. Once you're bridging, you better make sure there is a STP running

or that you will never have a loop possibility in the network.

Re: Question about IRB/spanning-tree

Yes, it seems counter-intuitive. I have been doing some reading and testing on this, though, and it seems the concern is spanning-tree causing instability in the bridging topology. For example, STP could cause the root bridge designation to change from one router to another in a simple point-to-point connection. I guess the upshot is that you should leave STP on, then see if "show spanning-tree" reports any topology changes. If it does not report any changes, you may as well just leave it off.

Views
Helpful
Replies