Helpful
Replies

Question about Supervisor Engine 720

Hi I would like to know what is the difference beetween this IOS:

sup-bootflash:s72033-ps-mz.122

17d.SXB1.bin"

&

"sup-bootflash:s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB1.bin"

My active Supervisor Engine 720 is running the second one. I bought another one to be the standby but this have the first. Can anyone give me any recomendation before I insert the standby supervisor on my switch??

The switch is working on my network now. If I insert the standby supervisor do I have a downtime of my network?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leonardo,

The second one provides the most features. Security features such as SSH, IPSec as well as MPLS support.

You should sync the software from your current blade to the new blade.

Are you running Native IOS or Hybrid ?

Inserting the blade should not create a downtime in your network but I recommend doing so off-hours, one never knows how the switch may react.

You will need to configure redundancy and the answer may vary depending on Native IOS or Hybrid.

If running Hybrid, see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007fb28.html#wp1071832

Gracias Edison for your help!

I'm running Native IOS

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Inserting the second sup will not have any downtime on your network.

I would suggest you to go for latest IOS on your SUP where you can run NSF/SSO along with software modularity where you only have to upgrade the process which is vulnerable or creating problem. You dont have to upload the entire IOS which basically save you unwanted downtime thus increaing productivity. This feature is called as in service switch upgarde.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/nsfsso.htm

HTH, Please rate if it does.

amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: