Views
Helpful
Replies

question of the use of 3700 36-port Etherswitch network module

teru-lei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

My company thinking use 3725 router to replace its old 4000 router. I saw there is a 36-port Etherswitch network module can be used in 3725. Does anybody know if all the ports of the module can be used for routing (and can assign an ip address) or just the whole module act as a switch? Thank You!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The switch module for the 3725/3745 requires the IOS Enterprise feature set (in order to recognise the extra card/ports) and then works in a very similar way to a 3550 switch. (we've tested this combination with IOS12.2.13T)

You will have the choice of either :

a) creating 36 vlan's via the "vlan data" command (as per the 3550/2950 etc), assigning each port to a different vlan and then using logical vlan interfaces on the router.

b) using the "no switchport" command to turn the interface in to a routed link. (as per the 3550 - I've not tested this command on the 3725/45 but it should work)

Regards,

Adam

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 36 or 16-port Cisco EtherSwitch NM is a modular, high-density network module that provides line-rate Layer 2 switching across Ethernet ports using Cisco IOS Catalyst Software. So it will act as a ethernet switch.

Here is the link which explains its features and capabilities.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/2600/prodlit/16prt_ds.htm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. But I still have something not understand. the network module act as a switch, so how can I identify this module? for example how can I use "interface " command to recognize it ? and how can I set an IP address to it for routing? Thank You!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

The switch module for the 3725/3745 requires the IOS Enterprise feature set (in order to recognise the extra card/ports) and then works in a very similar way to a 3550 switch. (we've tested this combination with IOS12.2.13T)

You will have the choice of either :

a) creating 36 vlan's via the "vlan data" command (as per the 3550/2950 etc), assigning each port to a different vlan and then using logical vlan interfaces on the router.

b) using the "no switchport" command to turn the interface in to a routed link. (as per the 3550 - I've not tested this command on the 3725/45 but it should work)

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank You very much. I understand now. By the way, have you config it for qos? and Is there any features that is special compare to 3600?

Best Regards

Teru Lei

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: