cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

question on WS-CAC-1300W with NEMA-5-20Plug.

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

WS-CAC-1300W with NEMA-5-20Plug. Bought 2nd hand 6506 with this power at home. Can I just buy this kind of outlet or i have to ask to install a particular circuit? Thanks

9 Replies 9

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Plug with NEMA 5-20 specs is not your garden variety plug but I think it's the same outlet an electric clothes dryer would be. Here is what NEMA 5-20 for North America would look like and this link also documents all PS for Cat6K:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/6500_ins/0apwsply.htm#wp1031945

search for "Figure A-33 CAB-7513AC="

Please rate all posts.

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

You want to run this at your house?

In your house you can cheat a little. In a business you would be required to put in a dedicated circuit with this type of outlet.

First thing to try is to replace the power cord with normal 15amp cord and plug it into a lightly used circuit in your house. As long as you don't have a lot of cards in the switch it does not pull the max power. Even in a fully loaded switch it will only pull the maximum at boot time.

You may have 20amp circuits in your house already. Many newer houses are requierd to have 20amp circuits in the kitchen and garage. The plugs look the same you need to check the breaker panel.

It will be easier to find a power cord than replace a outlet. You could swap out a outlet to one like this but you now take the risk that someone in the future assumes this is a dedicated circuit which the electrical code requires for a outlet like this.

If you are going to run this a lot I would put in a new circuit. It is a faily standard one that larger window airconditioners need.

Tim's info is spot on. I want to reinforce what he said: plug it into a lightly-loaded circuit (unless you run a dedicated 20A circuit for it as he suggests if you're gonna run it a lot) if you put a regular plug on the end of a 7513 cable.

The 7513 cable has a lower 'gauge' number, meaning it has bigger conductors (and therefore more current carrying capability). (Most PC cords are 18 gauge, which have a pretty low current capacity). A dedicated 20A circuit will have bigger conductors as well.

Overloading any AC circuit is a good way to start a fire, since the wires will get hot in proportion to how over-loaded they are. So be careful!

John

Thanks for all your good answers. I checked my power suppliers again. Now I got a little confused. Apparently the seller put two different type power suppliers in the chassis. Attached here are 2 pictures for the powers. However I noticed on the A it indicates output is 1300W, and B output is 1000W on the side paper.

Now what I confused is whether there is 1000W in one of the two. I know there are two types from Cisco: 1300 and 1000. If I do have 1000W, i may want to use that one since I only will have 3 modules including sup. Thanks

The file is too big I have to attach B on the 2nd post following this.

Here is picture B. Thanks

The A.JPG is a picture of what a 7513 (CAB-7513) cable would plug into. This is a 20A connector, and will be on the module that is rated up to 1300 watts.

The B.JPG is a picture of what a 7507 (CAB-7507) cable would plug into (standard computer cord but with a notch over the center pin). This will be on the module that is rated up to 1000 watts. This is a 15A connector IIRC, but you can't use an 18 gauge PC power cord, the 7507 cable is 16 gauge (and therefore capable of handling more current).

John

Hi John

Can you check my attached cable, is that the one I should order?

Also, since it is 15A, I should be able to install it at home with the regular outlet, right?

Thanks very much

Yes, that'll work just fine with the 1000W supply.

You won't be able to fill the chassis up [G]... but that's OK.

Keep in mind that most 'normal' US outlets are limited to 15 or 20 amps. So you won't want to have much else on that circuit, unless you go to the trouble of measuring how much current the 6000 is actually drawing.

John

great. thanks a lot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco