cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question with NTP authentication on my network

rwharris13
Level 1
Level 1

I want to setup ntp authentication on my network but the problem is, I have a few core devices that use internet sources for synchronization, and my other devices use these core devices to sync their time. If I use ntp authentication on all devices, that will break the cores relationship with the internet sources. Is there any way to do this or is my only option to manually set the core switches time and rely on those clocks?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ron

I would certainly not suggest going to manual setting of clocks

I think it should work to configure ntp authentication within your network. I would suggest as a test that you configure one of the interior devices for ntp authentication and configure one of the devices that learns ntp from the Internet for authentication. Then check to see if both devices continue to have ntp working ok. Give this a try and let us know how it works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use a dedicated NTP server.  I mean not the one claims to be an NTP server and goes to the internet to get sync.  I'm talking about a TRUE NTP server that has a built-in GPS receiver and an antenna.

You don't need to rack this unit into the DC.  You don't need to get one that can be racked either.

True GPS servers, nowadays, can be as small as a portable DVD player (for the car).  They just have a tiny socket at the back to plug your power, RJ-45 and the external (magnetic-based) antenna.  You just deploy this as close as possible to the roof or near a window.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ron

I would certainly not suggest going to manual setting of clocks

I think it should work to configure ntp authentication within your network. I would suggest as a test that you configure one of the interior devices for ntp authentication and configure one of the devices that learns ntp from the Internet for authentication. Then check to see if both devices continue to have ntp working ok. Give this a try and let us know how it works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use a dedicated NTP server.  I mean not the one claims to be an NTP server and goes to the internet to get sync.  I'm talking about a TRUE NTP server that has a built-in GPS receiver and an antenna.

You don't need to rack this unit into the DC.  You don't need to get one that can be racked either.

True GPS servers, nowadays, can be as small as a portable DVD player (for the car).  They just have a tiny socket at the back to plug your power, RJ-45 and the external (magnetic-based) antenna.  You just deploy this as close as possible to the roof or near a window.

Thank you for the input, I would definitely like to get a dedicated ntp server in house. I will see if thats an option.

Thank you for the input, I would definitely like to get a dedicated ntp server in house. I will see if thats an option.

Thanks for the ratings.

Just want to add a few things to the dedicated NTP server.  Alot of vendors will CLAIM that they are dedicated NTP server.  One thing to look at is the antenna socket.  If the appliance don't have an antenna socket then there's a big chance it won't be able to contact the GPS satellite.