cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

quick easy question about cisco 2948 l3 switches..

vayusa1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering is there a battery backup in the cisco 2948 L3 switches. I have googled for this and checked the manuals and i cannot find anything. I only ask this because everytime one of our two 2948's are rebooted they lose their configs and have to be manually reconfigured. So I am hoping it is a battery problem rather then the NV ram has gone bad (if that is possible)

Thanks,

Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hey,

config register value should set for 0x2102 & not 0x2142 & that is the reason when ever you restart the switch, the configurations are ignored.

hope this helps,

rate this post.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Nope, no battery. If the behavior is consistent every reboot, you might have a defective NVRAM, this is assuming you are saving the config, this is a 2948G-L3, so it must be saved, if it's a 2948G, then it's a switch and running CatOS and therefore any configuration changes gets saved in the NVRAM as soon as you press the enter key after a "set" commmand.

Please rate all posts.

I think i found the problem, this is what i get when i do a show ver. Googling that it appears this is the register that you use for password recovery options. I have heard 0x0102 is what it should be but am unsure.

Configuration register is 0x2142

yes, 0x2142 means ignore the start-up config, it is used for passowrd recovery.

Please rate all posts.

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hey,

config register value should set for 0x2102 & not 0x2142 & that is the reason when ever you restart the switch, the configurations are ignored.

hope this helps,

rate this post.

Thanks for the help everyone problem has now been solved.