cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

quick easy question about cisco 2948 l3 switches..

vayusa1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering is there a battery backup in the cisco 2948 L3 switches. I have googled for this and checked the manuals and i cannot find anything. I only ask this because everytime one of our two 2948's are rebooted they lose their configs and have to be manually reconfigured. So I am hoping it is a battery problem rather then the NV ram has gone bad (if that is possible)

Thanks,

Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hey,

config register value should set for 0x2102 & not 0x2142 & that is the reason when ever you restart the switch, the configurations are ignored.

hope this helps,

rate this post.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Nope, no battery. If the behavior is consistent every reboot, you might have a defective NVRAM, this is assuming you are saving the config, this is a 2948G-L3, so it must be saved, if it's a 2948G, then it's a switch and running CatOS and therefore any configuration changes gets saved in the NVRAM as soon as you press the enter key after a "set" commmand.

Please rate all posts.

I think i found the problem, this is what i get when i do a show ver. Googling that it appears this is the register that you use for password recovery options. I have heard 0x0102 is what it should be but am unsure.

Configuration register is 0x2142

yes, 0x2142 means ignore the start-up config, it is used for passowrd recovery.

Please rate all posts.

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hey,

config register value should set for 0x2102 & not 0x2142 & that is the reason when ever you restart the switch, the configurations are ignored.

hope this helps,

rate this post.

Thanks for the help everyone problem has now been solved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: