Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

"logging trap debugging" does not generate debug level messages

Hello,

I appreciate if you can help me understand this "logging trap debug" in routers. I have setup a syslog server to collect messages from several devices including routers, switches and PIX firewall. All configurations at syslog server and network devices side are OK and have been tested. I started with "warning" level and found out that was too much of messages from PIX but nothing from routers (except detecting "config t" sessions). So, I changed the level of PIX to "error" (to limit the number of messages) and level of routers to "debug" to see what I can get !!!

Still nothing from routers (even from those with access lists). My understanding from Cisco documentation is that with "logging trap debugging" I should get same messages as if I run "debug" on the router IOS command line. Apparently they are different though. Also, in debug command we have the option to select the area of "debug" command (debug ip, debug isdn, etc) but in "logging trap debugging" there is no such an option.

I summarize my case in two questions:

- Does "logging trap debugging" generate exactly same messages as if you run "debug" at command line in a router?

- When would I get a message in my syslog from a router (other than "config terminal" cases)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: "logging trap debugging" does not generate debug level messa

Hi,

AFAIK :

- "logging trap debugging" should sent to syslog server all the messages which you see on the console running "debug" CLI command (i.e. you have to start debugging to see some debug output) plus all other level messages (notification, warning, error, etc.)

- it depends on the router IOS, routers usually don't sent many messages to syslog. You can force it to send something by disconecting some port (it's brutal, I know) or maybe trying to add "log" option to you access list.

Regards,

Milan

1 REPLY

Re: "logging trap debugging" does not generate debug level messa

Hi,

AFAIK :

- "logging trap debugging" should sent to syslog server all the messages which you see on the console running "debug" CLI command (i.e. you have to start debugging to see some debug output) plus all other level messages (notification, warning, error, etc.)

- it depends on the router IOS, routers usually don't sent many messages to syslog. You can force it to send something by disconecting some port (it's brutal, I know) or maybe trying to add "log" option to you access list.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies