cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Real time" Monitoring of switchports

mvandorp
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to see the amount of traffic in "real time". I use MRTG already, but this gives me a five-minute average. Is there an efficient way to do this, and if so, how?

Regards,

Marcel

9 Replies 9

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Can use CiscoView or nGenius Real Time Monitor alomg with a NAM/Probe.

And then connect a probe to each switchport? a little costly, don't you think?

To expand on the situation: This is about a network which facilitates a lot of external parties. When one of those users is generating too much traffic, an alert must go off immediately. There are too many ports they can connect to, so it's not doable to put probes on all those ports.

I'm not familiar with RMON, but can't i put a treshold in the switch itself (Cat3548s, mostly), which generates a trap as soon as the treshold is reached? If this is a way to approach the problem, can anyone give me a pointer to more information?

Regards,

Marcel

Then use CiscoView instead.

g.crawford
Level 1
Level 1

mvandorp,

You can use MRTG on 1 minute intervals (if your port count is not large) and set Thresholds with MRTG which can send out SNMP traps.

But portcount is fairly high (400+).

Unfortunately, mrtg has to run on an windows system, which already chokes at a 5 minute interval with about 50 ports.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Marcel

Have a look at the RRDtool also written from T. Oetiker (MRTG).

It's a bit more difficult than MRTG but it can generate the webpage on demand and you are free with selecting the interval.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

t.s.tang
Level 1
Level 1

Since you are familiar with MRTG, you can try using GetIF (http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm).

You can select the device, then add the interface stats you are interested in from the MIB browser function to the graph. Set the graph to 1 second polls.

Keep in mind, your SNMP polls will be generating traffic and may skew the graph.

Thanks for your response. I will investigate.

Regards,

Marcel

joburgos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marcel,

Suggest you look at www.linmor.com

Their polling times can be set at 2sec. intervals "real-time"

-Jose

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: