Views
Helpful
Replies

"Show logging" displays the switch UP time not the Date & time

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have cisco 2950 switch, when i type the show logging, what ever event has happend i am getting like this "26w6d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/24, changed state to down" but it is not showing the date & time when the event has occured, so every time i need to check the show version & have to see the switch up time & then i need to calculate. is there any configuration has to be done where i should get the information of the date & time in place of switch up time eg. like this...

"Sep4 4:15: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/24, changed state to down"

4 Replies 4

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

hello anand

enable the service timestamps log datetime command on the switch to add the date/time on the logs...

refer to the following doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d84c6.html#xtocid8

Hope this helps.. all the best... rate replies if found useful..

Raj

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

what you could do is to enable timestamping if not already done so.

2950(config)# service timestamp debug datetime msec

2950(config)# service timestamp log datetime msec

or you can use SNMP to provide traps of the 'events' that occur on the device.

these SNMP traps will provide the date, time and trap.

what version IOS on that device? have you enabled timestamping? have you upgrade lately? perhaps an upgrade could be of assistance. i'll verify the operation on some 2950s i have to confirm if i have the same issue or not and what version is being used. i'll post the result when available.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Change the timestamp command to

"service timestamps log datetime msec"

foxbatreco
Level 3
Level 3

Hii anand,

u need to enable proper clock settings for the log messages to give u the concerned event periods.u can do that by giving the command clock set hh:mm:ss with the Month,date and Year on the privileged mode.

This should resolve the probs.

Pls rate/confirm if it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: