Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rack-mounting Catalyst 3548XL's

We have had problems when rack-mounting Catalyst 3548XL switches with regards to the switch hanging-down lower at the back than the front when installed in a rack with the brackets at the front of the switch. There is a certain amount of 'flopping-down' that just gets worse over a period of time; in-fact I have one customer complaining that the Mode button is permanently pressed in due to this 'feature'.

I know there are only two screws that support the rack-mounting bracket's on either side of the switch and a certain amount of give should be allowed, but I have a few installations now where they appear to be getting worse. Apart from sitting the 3548XL on a shelf is there any way this 'flopping' can be minimised?

5 Replies 5

I can't believe no one else has had this issue with 3548's - they are so deep this has to be a common problem.

We have also had this problem and as a result we purchased shelves in order to rest the switches.

I agree, shelves are a good answer but I have one customer who is not at all happy with the way they hang in the racks and he has 30+ of these. I think he is going to be even more unhappy when we tell him the only solution is to spend more money on some shelves and time to fit them.

It's a problem across the industry - Cisco switches aren't the only manuf. we have that has done this as switch bulk, weight, and sometimes depth has increased. The real solution is to acknowledge that the products are eclipsing the 1U lightweight routers of yesterday and buck up for some 2U/3U rail kits like they do with servers; but obviously that would also raise the price of your switches $100-200 - so i can't blame Cisco for not doing that as the default - but it would be nice to see that offered as an optional kit for those of us with rack-sag :-)

- Ken

I have the same problem. I can't believe that they only give you two screws for that bracket. That blows me away.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: