Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAS platform for Windows NT/2000 Analog access

Trying to enhance an existing infrastructure with a Cisco RAS product. Site currently employs a 3COM device. This product must stay in place, while the Cisco will be temporary until a Cisco VPN product can be deployed. Is the AS2511-RJ the best way to provide an additional 16 lines at a reasonably low enough cost? Are there any "pass-through" NT/2000 authentication issues that may exist? What would be better, lower cost, no authentication issues?

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: RAS platform for Windows NT/2000 Analog access

2511 can support 16 "analog modems" connection so if you are looking for low speed analog (V.34 max) connections, YES 2511 is the better choice. There are no authentication issues that you have to worry about..Tejal

Is there a "cookbook" for the hardware component configuration of the 2511 along with the IOS configuration to support the implementation of this at the site? I tried a few searches on the CCO site but was not able to get either in a concise dociment.

Cisco Employee

Here is the url for configuration of 2511 for dialin access

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/pppdialup.html

Also you will find many sample config for 2500 series router

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/2500_index.html

Also you can take a look for more async configs at

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/#async

Can you help with the required components for a system in say, Asia or Japan, as opposed to Latin America or Europe? Would any of these require the 2511RJ-DC or is this product for something else.

Also, can the 2511 support ISDN and analog connections for RAS services both in the same 2511?

I also need to understand how and when, in the connection process, the PC user will be able to authenticate into their NT Domain. BTW, I've already viewed the links you've provided below, that is why I was asking for more detailed information.

Appreciate your help, :7) roland

Cisco Employee

Let me clarify some stuff..You can't authenticate the dialin users against the NT database/domain straight.

BUT when users dialin to 2511, they will be authenticated against the local databse first and once they are connected (with dns and wins server allocated to them) another NT domain logon window will appear at the user side on which they will be authenticated against your NT domain.(where the username and password along with the NT doaim name needs to be entered)

So here we are talking about two authentiction one with 2511(where usernames and passwords needs to be configured on the 2511), and one with NT domain.

Now to view the connection datailed stages, turn on following debug on the router

debug modem

debug ppp authentication

debug ppp negotiation

term mon

This will give you modem connection debug along with PPP too...Hope thats what you are looking for...Thx..Tejal

I need another piece of information, which I am unable to find clearly on the web site. (Perhaps searching incorrectly.)

In trying to configure this device in the buy from Cisco web option, no part numbers can be configured/added(?) which would allow for pricing the unit with 16 RJ-45 to DB-25 cables. I believe I am missing these somewhere, just can not find them. Can you help? Thank you again... :7) rjsjr

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content