Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate Limit on 3550

Hello,

I am trying to find a solution on how to limit all incoming and outgoing traffic on a 3550-24 emi switch. I have read the following document...

"http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_tech_note09186a00800feff5.shtml?"

but this does not show me how to limit all incoming and outgoing traffic. It shows that I can police incoming, but not outgoint. Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

Customer-A is connected to ports fa0/1 and fa0/2. I want the sum of both of their ports to be limited to 5 mb. I would like the ablity to see statistics of whether or not Customer-A has hit their bandwidth cap. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Lee

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Rate Limit on 3550

Hi Lee,

On the 3550s, you can police in both the ingress and egress directions... we use this quite successfully on our 3550s for Metro Ethernet services...

Here's an example:

policy-map Policer

class class-default

police 128000 4000

!

int fast0/1

service-policy input Policer

service-policy output Policer

To see if there have been drops due to policing, use 'show mls qos interface fast0/1 statistics'

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Re: Rate Limit on 3550

Lee>> I want the sum of both of their ports to be limited to 5 mb.

>> Aggregate policer will accomplish this.

By using an aggregate policer, you can create a policer that is shared by multiple traffic classes within the same policy map.

This config guide have good config example:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225see/scg/swqos.htm#wp1048656

Lee>> I would like the ablity to see statistics of whether or not Customer-A has hit their bandwidth cap. How can I accomplish this?

>> There is no straight forward command:

You can define up to 16 DSCP values for which byte or packet statistics are gathered by hardware by using the mls qos monitor {bytes | dscp dscp1 ... dscp8 | packets} interface configuration command and the show mls qos interface statistics privileged EXEC command. This will show you how many packets are dropped, this drops occur when it exceeded configured policed rate (5MB in your case). if you did not configured to makr DSCP then all packet should have DSCP 0, so you'll monitor the DSCP 0.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content