Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Rate-Limit, Traffic-Shape on 6500

I have the following switch

6509 with CatOS and MSFC.

When I create a VLAN on the MSFC and include either rate-limit or traffic-shape configuration, it seems that they are ignored. Are these commands supported, if not is there another way to complete this task.???

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Rate-Limit, Traffic-Shape on 6500

Traffic shaping and rate limit commands are not supported on VLAN(logical) interfaces, you can do in another way by using policing commands. Please refer the following doc for more information..

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/102.html

Re: Rate-Limit, Traffic-Shape on 6500

Also, becuase of the way the LAN hardware works on the interfaces, there effectively is no such thing as 'traffic shaping'.

There are some output queue options (very simple) and that's it.

'Traffic shaping' is more of a concern in the WAN environment (atleast at this time) than in the LAN environment.

Someday when EFM (Ethernet in the First Mile) is all over the place and we are no longer dealing with async/sync serial-based WAN interfaces more emphasis will be put on providing those kinds of capabilities for those types (Fast ethernet, Gig, 10-gig) of interfaces.

Of course, that's just my opinion: I could be wrong.

Views
Helpful
Replies