Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Rate Limiting

I have a device connected to a switchport that I would like to have shut down IF the traffic exceeds a certain amount. This device seems to spew gross amounts of unicast traffic at times and as a result it degrades the circuit (T1) so badly that the circuit becomes unusable until the device is disconnected from the network.

I would like to configure the switch to watch the unicast traffic and when the traffic exceeds a certain amount have the switchport shutdown.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

4 REPLIES

Re: Rate Limiting

Rate limiting will not shutdown the port,but it will drop traffic after a particular limit.

What switch is it ?

Thanks for the reply. It is a 3550-48. Dropping the traffic would definitely suffice.

Brian

I thought you could set CAR (rate-limit) on a vlan or interface basis on the 3550, but i cant seem to find a reference for this feature on the 3550.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080087dac.html#1017761

Silver

Hi,

With Cat3550 you can use "storm-control unicast level" command and provided you run IOS 12.2(25)SE and higher also "storm-control action shutdown" which shuts the port down (puts into errdisable status).

Best regards,

Antonin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content