Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-learning addresses

ctinajero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Out of the 80 something switches in the farm there are a couple that log an error message that reads: " time-switch name-GigabitEthernet0/2 relearning 11 addrs per min 1." This is the topoly: 3500XL connected to 6513 (core router) via a Gigabit link, not-trunked. Then, off one of the Ethernet ports (FastEthernet 0/12) there is an AP. This port reports a similar error: " 1w2d: %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/12 relearning 6 addrs per minent. " Moreover, there are two switches (2900s) that daisy-chained from one of the other FastEthernet ports. So, no redundancy at all as far as I can see. As far as I can tell it seems that these two switches are the only ones which have APs connected to them. So, my questions are:

1) Is this error an indication of a STP loop? If it is, what should I do to fix it?

3) Is the AP the culprit. And if it is, is it working as designed?

4) If you answer "yes" to question "3", then why is happening to the Gigabit port, which is only connected to a core router and nothing else.

5) Could it be a faulty blade and/or switch ( I mean the 3500XL)

Any suggestions/ideas would really help me because I am scratching my head on this, and my team lead would like an answer asap.

Carlos T. CCNA

IBM Toronto Lab

1 Reply 1

rjackson
Level 5
Level 5

In my experience this is standard for wireless networks. The wireless devices are moving from AP to AP and the APs are on different switch ports or switches so the same mac address is moving to different locations in the "bridged" network. The learning tables have to be updated as the locations change. I dont know anyway around it. I'm not sure about the effect on the gig port unless there is another AP hanging off a different line out of the 6513. That would cause the 3500 to see the device moving from/to fa ports and the gig port.