Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Reaching back....... 7010 RP Slot0 Flash

I recently inherited a 7010 with RP/SP running version 10.X. I need to upgrade it as far as possible (11.X) and have a 16MB Flash card for the RP. It's an Intel 2+. Anyway, All the documentation I can find here on the Cisco site says I should "Format" the card, which makes sense. As far as I can see, there is no such command in emable, disable or unable.

IDEAS?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES

Re: Reaching back....... 7010 RP Slot0 Flash

To use a flash memory card you must be using IOS 11.0 or later boot roms. What I've been doing is having the router pull the latest IOS from a tftp server. Yes its not the best solution, but it lets me run the latest IOS without having to get new roms.

Bronze

I also have a 7000 series with an RP and an SP.

My boot roms are 11.x and 16MB flash card, IOS is 11.x -There are no more IOS upgrades for this series. However, I can see IOS upgrades for 7000 series with different hardware.

Question- What different hardware I can install to replace the RP/SP so I can run IOS 12.x???

Thanks

PS I would also consider trading this BIG beast for something smaller, I have several (about 4) 2-port token ring cards, (about 3) 8-port high speed serial cards, 2 4-port serial cards and several 8-port ethernet cards and, 2 working power supplies, ALL in GREAT working order.

fsebera@yahoo.com

If you want to run an IOS above 11.2 you need to replace the RP with a RSP7000. Documentation for the RSP7000 can be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7000/routeswi/25617rsp.htm

Here's the output from a Show Version. I assume I am at boot rom version 11.X.

I considered reloading from a tftp server but...... the host is not always available. Perhaps it should be :)

Show Ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) GS Software (GS7), Version 10.2(2.2), MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 04-Jan-95 14:50 by kmac

Image text-base: 0x00001000, data-base: 0x004CE980

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10), SOFTWARE (fc3)

ROM: GS Software (GS7-K-M), Version 11.0(10), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Router uptime is 4 hours, 38 minutes

System restarted by power-on

System image file is "new7000.Z", booted via flash

RP (68040) processor with 65536K bytes of memory.

X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

Bridging software.

G.703/E1 software, Version 1.0.

1 Switch Processor.

1 EIP controller (6 Ethernet).

1 FSIP controller (8 Serial).

6 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces.

8 Serial network interfaces.

128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

--More--

OK........ there's a good ending to this, and no, it dosn't mean swapping out the router. IOS 10.X in fact does not include a format command. I actually booted the router with the new IOS via TFTP, and magically, there is a format command in 11.X. From there copied the IOS file from TFTP to slot0:, after formating it of course. All is well in the world tonight.

Thanks for the input.

:)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content