Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

reaching dns on vlan

hi,

if we have say 2 vlans (vlanA, vlanB) on a layer 3 switch connected to the internet, how is dns server configured on the switch.

vlanA,vlanB -------router-----internet

ipA-ip address of vlan A

ipB-ip address of vlan B

ipDNS-ip address of DNS server on vlan A

thanks a lot.

8 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: reaching dns on vlan

i am not 100% sure what you are asking for, but if you want to do dns lookups when you telnet or ssh from the switch, use the "ip domain lookup", "ip domain-name" and "ip name-server" commands.

Reference:

URL: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/ipras_r/ip1_i1g.htm#1081353

what am sayin is

Ip_DNS is the ip address of the DNS server on VlanA.

IP_A is the ip address of vlan_A

IP_B is the ip address of vlan_B

notice that the dns server is residing on vlan_A.

If a host on vlan_B wants to go to internet by using the dns server that resides on vlan_A, what configuration do i have to do in the switch.

Do i need to use the ip helper address in this case..Am not so clear about it...

hope you got a clearer picture on the question now

thanx

Bronze

there is no switch config required. You have to tell the PC where the DNS server is. There is nothing for the switch/router to do. So long as you have network connectivity from the PC on vlan B to the DNS port on the DNS server , then the rest of the config needs to be put on the PC.

What confuses me is the discussion on the IP helper address thing. Because one of the 8 port by default is the DNS.Another is the DHCP..And in the case of DHCP, we are to use the ip helper address, so why not on a DNS.

Kindly clarify

Bronze

IP Helper address feature is used to relay certain kinds of broadcast traffic directly to a server. For example, a DHCP client sends out a broadcast packet requesting an IP address. The IP helper feature can forward the DHCP request directly to a DHCP server on another LAN.

To be honest, I have no idea why a PC would broadcast a DNS query, so I would just ignore

that. All PCs or network devices, that use DNS,

that I have ever configured always know the IP

address of the DNS server, either through DHCP

or by manually configuring it.

I think you shouldn't focus on the fact that the IP helper feature can forward broadcast DNS queries to a server. You should configure the PCs properly so that the pc knows how to directly communicate with the DNS server.

thats a nice explanation..but lets go back to what you were sayin on your first reply..

You've stated there the ip name server etc...could u elaborate on those pls...

thx

I am having a problem pinging the DNS setup on my server. I have a VLAN setup on several switch ports and one computer can ping the DNS server but the server cannot. When I do a TRACERT on the PC, I see all the hops it takes to the DNS server. From the server, I cannot ping any of these hops. It's as if the server can't find the appropriate route to the DNS. Any ideas of what is stopping this?

"ip name-server" is used for the router/switch to know the DNS server ip. Incase you ping or trace from the router/switch to say www.yahoo.com, the website address gets resolved to the IP address through the DNS server specified.

Views
Helpful
Replies