cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Real-time traffic, static routes, ports, filters, EIGRP.

bruce.porter
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to send realtime traffic to a host device using a specific port on that end device. The path between the two devices currently consists of two EIGRP gigabit hops.

I will be adding a single hop 100Mb link between the originating router and the destination router. I want only the specific host to host realtime traffic to cross this 100Mb link, ie. no EIGRP traffic should cross it.

Using this 100Mb link, if you set up a static route from the source router to the destination router then you can't control who uses that route ie 100Mb link. If you use EIGRP and do a route filter, you end up with another problem, EIGRP traffic crossing the link.

Suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bruce

If I understand your requirements correctly then the solution you are looking for is Policy Based Routing. PBR can alter (or over-ride) the routing decision that would be made in the routing table. You configure PBR with a route map. Frequently the route map uses a access list to identify the traffic to be treated differently. So you could create an access list that would identify the specific host to host traffic and then in the route map you can set the next hop to use the special link.

In this solution you would not run any routing protocol over the special link. Only the Policy Routed traffic would use the link.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bruce

If I understand your requirements correctly then the solution you are looking for is Policy Based Routing. PBR can alter (or over-ride) the routing decision that would be made in the routing table. You configure PBR with a route map. Frequently the route map uses a access list to identify the traffic to be treated differently. So you could create an access list that would identify the specific host to host traffic and then in the route map you can set the next hop to use the special link.

In this solution you would not run any routing protocol over the special link. Only the Policy Routed traffic would use the link.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Didn't know I could do that. Thx.