Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Receiving but not sending routes to BGP established nei.

In my home lab, I am running BGP over OSPF and EIGRP. The peering is establsihed between the routers, but one of them is not forearding the routes it receives fromits neighbour.

Where to look for the problem.

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Receiving but not sending routes to BGP established nei.

Hi,

I presume you are talking about the fact that R6 is not sending any routes to R2. There is a good reason for this. If you look at the 'sh ip bgp' output for R6, you will see that all routes marked with a '>' sign were learned from R2. Therefore, these are selected as the best routes. There is not a single route that was not learned from R2. BGP will not advertise out routes that it learned from a neighbor back to that neighbor. Also, BGP will only adveritse the routes it itself uses (in this case, the ones marked with >). Since all of these routes were learned from R2, R6 has nothing to advertise to R2.

This is correct behaviour. If you really want to see something being advertised, do somethink like creating a loopback interface on R6 and then do 'redistribute connected' under your BGP process on R6.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Re: Receiving but not sending routes to BGP established nei.

Thanks for your help. Clarification was great.

Views
Helpful
Replies